MICHAEL GILDON’S QUESTION OF THE DAY!

SHOULD POLICE OFFICERS BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR IRRESPONSIBLE DRIVING AND BEHAVIOR?

I was watching the news the other night and I saw where a motorcycle cop was killed in the line of duty. What happen was – a woman made a right turn on red and pulled out in front of the the officer’s motorcycle. Before I get deep into my questions let me say that my heart goes out ot to the fallen cop and his family and I pray that people should be more cautious when driving. With that being said the driver was cited for failure to yield. Not to take offense with the driver but I’m sure this accident wasn’t at all her fault. Reason why, because I’ve seen these motorcycle cops cut in between cars at a alarming rate of speed when not on a call, just speeding for no apparent reason. What’s get me the most is when they drive up to a red light and flash on their lights to cross a intersection only to turn them off when they’re up the road. A majority of them are always on there cell phones while driving and some not wearing seat belts . Now what gets me the most is when they leave their parked car running for long periods of time with no one in it…My questions are do you think police officers need more driving training?? Should they themselves be ticketed or demerited for not obeying traffic laws?? I know that officers can place cell phones calls through the 911 call center and it would be free to them but who pays for this?? Taxpayers?? Do you think I would go to jail if I cut the ignition off next time I see a police car running with the air on full blast and no one in it?? Do you think the police are above the law when it comes to driving?? Should we as citizens be able to issue them tickets or be able to report them?? Where are my damn donuts??

P.S. ***El Presidente I will keep you and your family in my prayers, stay strong and may God bless!!

1. Anonymous August 16, 2006 10:31 am

all cops are rogue if you ask me. and they’re just one step from breaking the law. I think the powers that be should be harder on them than the average citizen. they’re constantly breaking the law because they are the law.

2. Anonymous August 16, 2006 11:42 am

Cops that block traffic for funerals are the worst offenders. Funeral of the motorcycle cops, the bereived and other innocent drives. Mprocessions running red lights risk the lives ouners should drive separately to the cemetary and not run the risk of an unnecessary funeral.

3. Anonymous August 16, 2006 11:44 am

SECOND TRY FOR ABOVE
    Cops that block traffic for funerals are the worst offenders. Funeral processions running red lights risk the lives of the motorcycle cops, the bereived and other innocent drives. Mourners should drive separately to the cemetary and not run the risk of an unnecessary funeral.

4. Anonymous August 16, 2006 1:27 pm

Who is he refering to when he says “El Presidente”? If he means Castro then I hope he’s kidding. This guy is a brutal dictator is he not? or am I living on another planet?

5. Jason August 16, 2006 6:50 pm

Polie are not above the law. If you see one acting up, complain to their department. However, sometimes officers can, and have to ignore traffic laws in emergency situations or when running to urgent calls. The same people who complain about their driving are also the sames ones complaining about long response times. So how do you remedy that?
    By the way, what are you talking about placing cell phone calls through 911 and it’s free? I’ve never heard that before. Sounds like a snopes deal to me. Officers pay for their own cell phones (unless they are department issued which usually come with restrictions).

As for your comment about the dead officer maybe partially at fault because you’ve seen others speed. Were you there? Did you see him speed?

6. ISIAH CAREY August 16, 2006 10:28 pm

This is El Presidente: http://krssbprez06.blogspot.com/

he posts here on the Insite and his father is very ill…

isiah

7. Anonymous August 17, 2006 8:34 am

Jason:

Complain?? To who?? There would be no action taken—-These folks are bonded. A while back a policeman wrote another policeman a ticket for parking in a fire lane, you can only guess who was repremanded-“ticket issuer”

No I was there at the scene but the times I have seen that officer yes he was speeding and no he wasn’t on a call…Baton Rouge is not the size of Houston so you get to know faces around here esp them folks.

As far a the cell phone, my ex is a sheriff deputy and there are numbers that they can dial at no charge. Officers call through dispatch and have their calls placed. The person receiving the call only sees the department number. The person making the call billing statement shows only the dispatch number leaving no connection between the officer and the person/place intended to dial..I’m sure this is suppose to be used for official business but you know how we can take advantage of things

Mike G

8. Anonymous August 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Just because a cop isn’t running with lights and siren doesn’t mean he is not going to a call. When an officer is close to the scene, he will cut off the lights and siren so that the “bad guys” don’t know he’s close by.

As far as funerals, the idea of making the friends and family wait in traffic and be split up during the procession doesn’t make an sense. People are in too much of a hurry! My grandfather stops his car and pulls to the side when he sees a funeral procession coming down the road. It’s a sign of respect.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen cops runing lights and siren down Westheimer and no one moves out of the way! These folks are the real offenders. They do he same for fire trucks and ambulances.

Our police officers are a direct reflection of our society. Some will drive bad even when they are not going to calls, just as many citizens drive bad for no good reason.

The next time you see this, get the plate or car # off the back window and make a complaint. They can find out if the officer was on a call. And yes, it does get investigated. Regardless of the outcome, the complaint stays in his file. If he gets many similar complaints it’s obvious he’s driving bad.

HPD Officers don’t get free calls. Even the dispatchers have to have a supervisor make long distant calls for them.

9. Anonymous August 17, 2006 8:22 pm

I have no problem with funeral processions using police officers. These are full of people in mourning trying to get to the cemetary as a group and having an escort is the only way to keep the group from getting lost.