HAPPY 75TH TO THE HOUSTON DEFENDER!

THE NEWSPAPER THAT’S A PART OF HOUSTON HISTORY!

The Houston Defender, a weekly black newspaper, was established in Houston on October 11, 1930. In November 1930 the paper was newly published from the Odd Fellows Temple, had a larger format, and was headed by president H. P. Carter. In the 1940s the paper was edited and published by C. F. Richardson. In this period the paper espoused a platform supporting new parks and paved streets, space restrictions on rental housing, separation of Prairie View from Texas A&M University, increased black representation in police and fire departments, more sensitive curricula for the Houston public schools and a technical high school, county institutions for delinquents, equal rights, voting rights, anti-lynching laws, capital punishment, and an increase in black-owned businesses. The paper has been in continuous publication since its founding. Sonny Messiah-Jiles is currently the publisher of the historic paper.