THE ALARM HAS BEEN SOUNDED AND THE PEOPLE TOLD TO LEAVE!
The nearly 10,000 people on the West End of Galveston have been told to get out. This comes after Ike made a slight turn towards the north. Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas made the announcement just before 6pm today. The remainder of the island on higher ground and protected by the sea wall will be under a voluntary evacuation order. Many of the people we talked with on the west end of Galveston said they were going to follow the evacuation order even though their homes are elevated. Meanwhile, Galveston is not alone in mandatory evacuations along the Texas coast, here’s a complete list:
- Mandatory evacuation for all residents beginning 8 a.m. Thursday
- Brazosport ISD– Closed until Monday, Sept. 15
- Columbia-Brazoria ISD
- Brazosport College
- Danbury ISD– Schools closed Thursday and Friday, Sept. 11-12; extra-curricular activities canceled until Saturday, Sept. 13
- Mail service has been temporarily suspended for the City of Freeport
- Alvin Community College–Closed 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 10 until Sunday, Sept. 14
- Angleton ISD– Closed Thursday-Friday, Sept. 11-12
- West Columbia Charter School–Closed Thursday-Friday, Sept. 11-12
- Mandatory evacuations beginning 10 a.m. Thursday for low-lying areas, including Smith Point and Oak Island areas, and Cedar Points and Walker subdivisions on the west side of the county. Residents of flood-prone homes also are encouraged to evacuate.
Fort Bend County
- City of Missouri City will close its regular operations beginning at noon Thursday, Sept. 11 until further notice.
- All Fort Bend County public transportation commuter routes, which include the TREK Express to Greenway Plaza and the Galleria and the Fort Bend County Express to the Texas Medical Center, will not operate on Friday.
- Mandatory evacuation for west end of Galveston Island including Jamaica Beach, as well as Bolivar Peninsula, San Leon, Bacliff, Bayou Vista, Omega Bay, Tiki Island, Dickinson, Kemah and Clear Lake Shores
- Voluntary evacuation for the rest of the county
- Voluntary evacuation for League City residents
- Galveston Island State Park has begun a mandatory evacuation of campers and planned to have the park shut down by Wednesday evening.
- Boliver Ferry Closes 11 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 11
- Hitchcock ISD
- Friendswood ISD- Until Sept. 12
- Clear Creek ISD– Extra-curricular activities canceled Thursday; closed Friday
- La Marque ISD–Closed Friday, Sept. 12, activities canceled Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 11-12
- College of Mainland– Closed from noon Thursday, Sept. 11- Sunday, Sept. 14
- Texas City ISD– Closed Thursday, Sept. 11-Saturday, Sept. 13
- NO evacuations in effect
- All Houston ISD and Sheldon ISD athletic events and field trips that are scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are canceled. Additionally, all after-school athletic events and field trips which require travel outside of Harris County on Thursday are canceled. The decision on any further cancellations will be made no later than noon Thursday.
- Deer Park ISD– Closed Friday, Sept. 12; canceled all extra-curricular activities for Thursday, Sept. 11.
- University of Houston football game on Saturday has been relocated to Dallas.
- La Port ISD– Closed Thursday-Friday, Sept. 11-12
- Texas Chiropractic College– Closed Thursday-Friday, Sept. 11-12; National Board Exams at college postponed until further notice.
- Goose Creek ISD– Closed Friday, Sept. 12; all extra-curricular activities canceled Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 11-13
- Mandatory evacuation for residents below Highway 35 as of 8:00 am Thursday, September 11, 2008.
- Voluntary evacuation for all Jackson County residents
- Hardin ISD– Closed Thursday-Friday, Sept. 11-12
- Mandatory evacuation in effect for residents south of Highway 35, except Bay City and Van Vleck. Evacuation for these areas must be completed by 6 p.m. Thursday.
- All schools in the Bay City ISD will be closed Thursday and Friday. All school district related activities have been canceled. Schools are expected to reopen Monday, Sept. 15.
- Wharton ISD
- Boling ISD– Closed Thursday and Friday, Sept. 11-12
- El Campo ISD– Closed Thursday and Friday, Sept. 11-12
- East Bernard ISD– Closed until Monday, Sept. 15