Monthly Archives: January 2009

SOME ARE SAYING IT’S ABOUT TIME!

NEWS REPORTS INDICATE KELLY ROWLAND DITCHES THE KNOWLES!

Kelly Rowland made what some thought was necessary, a clear break from Beyonce’s father and manager Mathew Knowles this week.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Rowland says “Mathew Knowles has been a positive influence in my career. I have had great success under his guidance — both as a member of Destiny’s Child and with my solo projects. Although we have decided to part ways professionally, the Knowles family and the entire Music World Entertainment team will always be my family.”

Rowland, who shared her post-Destiny’s Child goals with Singersroom last year says “I want to make as many solo albums as I can. I feel that (people) harp more on Kelly from Destiny’s Child instead of getting to know me for who I am.”

Mathew Knowles, who called the split amicable (dismissing rumors that there had been a verbal altercation), issued a statement as well:

“After a very positive meeting between Kelly Rowland and myself, we have amicably agreed to end our professional relationship. My company, Music World, will continue to manage Destiny’s Child as a group. As an artist Kelly has incredible talent and I only wish her the best. We will always be family first and foremost, and as a dad I only have love for Kelly.”

WILL THERE BE A MAVERICK ON HOUSTON’S CITY COUNCIL?

AN OPEN LETTER FROM THE DISTRICT H CANDIDATE!

Dear Friend,

Today, I’m honored to say that I am a candidate for Houston City Council. District H faces real challenges that will require strong leadership and bold ideas. The issues we face today — inadequate historic preservation and neighborhood protection, crumbling roads and sidewalks, soaring electricity prices, crime, and a tough economy — are issues that affect everybody in District H. We need a candidate who understands the needs of the whole district, and who will represent everybody.

All my life, I’ve been called to service — from teaching high school History and Government, to volunteering with my neighborhood, and to working at City Hall. I firmly believe that everybody counts and nobody should be left behind, and with your help, we can make District H an even better place to live.

To get elected, I will need your help. So, please go to my website: http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1015164682&msgid=1604668&act=5B1O&c=399799&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maverickwelsh.com%2F. You can sign-up to volunteer and receive campaign updates, and, of course, make a financial contribution.

Remember to vote in the special election Saturday, May 9. Thank you so much for your consideration and support.

Sincerely,
Maverick Welsh

NO PICTURES ON THE INSITE FOR A MINUTE!

The Insite had to go out and buy more storage space to keep the posts coming here on the blog. That means I will be out of business for a minute. The order for new storage has already been placed but it takes time for Google and Picasa to process my order. Be patient!

The Insite

WAY TO GO MARY BENTON!

ON THE COVER OF THE DMARS PUBLICATION!

Congratulations to KPRC TV reporter Mary Benton. She made the cover of the magazine D-Mars.com. She’s listed among several local women who are being highlighted for their work in the community and their respective professional fields. The issue is called Women In It To Win It 2009. Benton, also president of the Houston Association of Black Journalists, was singled out for her efforts in the community and on television. Way to go Mary!

IT’S NEW YORK OR BUST FOR A HOUSTON WOMAN!

FIDDLIN TO $19,000…IS IT POSSIBLE?

Time is running out for a Houston woman who has plans of pursuing her dreams in New York City.

Gina Williamson, 21, plays her violin on street corners around Houston. The Lamar High School graduate says she was accepted into the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.

The problem: she needs $19,000 for her tuition, and her father was just laid off. So Williamson plays the violin on street corners as a way to raise money.

Williamson’s deadline for paying her tuition is next week. She says she’s going to continue to play until time runs out.

Click here to see the full video story by FOX 26’s Isiah Carey.

THE ATTORNEY GENERAL GOES AFTER AND GETS A SETTLEMENT FROM MEMORIAL HERMANN!

THE BATTLE BETWEEN DAVID AND GOLIATH CONTINUES!

Attorneys representing individual physicians and the physician partnership in litigation against Houston’s Memorial Hermann Healthcare System praised the announcement that Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has filed suit against Memorial Hermann alleging similar violations of the state antitrust laws.

The Attorney General’s Office and Memorial Hermann also entered into an agreed injunction prohibiting Memorial Hermann from engaging in certain practices that the Attorney General alleged unreasonably restrained competition in violation of Texas antitrust laws.

Attorney General Abbott yesterday filed suit and later issued a news release outlining his office’s findings that Memorial Hermann engaged in anticompetitive behavior through an organized insurer boycott against Houston Town & Country Hospital, a competing hospital owned by physicians. In addition to agreeing to an injunction, Memorial Hermann also agreed to pay the state $700,000 for the cost of the investigation and agreed to abide by a number of other stipulations, including a five-year monitoring period during which Memorial Hermann must not pursue similar anticompetitive actions.

Attorney Rusty Hardin of Houston’s Rusty Hardin & Associates and Richard Zook of Houston’s Thompson & Knight are representing the doctors and physician partnership that started Houston Town & Country Hospital. The litigation contends that Memorial Hermann engaged in improper acts against the doctors and the hospital by engaging in anticompetitive practices. Those practices include coercing insurance companies to boycott the smaller, start-up hospital and, as a result, depriving many patients and their doctors from using the hospital.

R20;This is a huge victory for the doctors who built Town & Country Hospital, and for the general public seeking quality health care at competitive prices. The AG’s office should be congratulated for taking such a bold, non-political action on behalf of consumers,” says Hardin.

R20;Although the AGR17;s findings validate our claims of unlawful conduct by Memorial Hermann, the doctors’ civil case against Memorial Hermann is set for a jury trial in late March 2009,” says Zook. “We look forward to showing the jury the entire story of Memorial Hermann’s improper actions that damaged these doctors, their patients and the public at large.”

A copy of the final judgment and news release from the Attorney General’s Office can be found at http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?print=1&id=2812.

WHO’S RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTROVERSIAL NEWSPAPER AD?

NO ONE IS TAKING CREDIT FOR THIS DEBACLE!

The Insite received a call late Monday afternoon from the campaign manager of Houston Mayor Bill White. Mustapha Tameez apparently wanted to set the record straight about the controversial newspaper ad that appeared in the Houston Defender recently. The ad places Mayor Bill White in the middle of Dr. Martin Luther King and President Barack Obama. The ad has drawn a lot of attention since it hit news stands. Some questioned why Mayor White approved such an ad essentially comparing himself or elevating his status to that of the two historical African Americans. However, Tameez tells the Insite while the Mayor’s campaign did pay for the advertisement they did not approve the layout that places Mayor White in the middle. Tameez says their campaign bought space in several local African American publications and left it up to the papers to draft the actual ad. He went on to say if they knew what the Houston Defender was going to put out on the streets they would have come up with another concept. But it gets better. So, the Insite decided to call the Houston Defender to get their response. Sonny Messiah Jiles, the publisher of the Defender, says while they did come up with the concept Mayor White’s campaign did approve it before it was released to the public. You’ll remember Mr. Tameez says they did not approve the ad. Jiles went on to tell the Insite the ad was not designed to portray Mayor White as an equal with the two men. She says it was a tribute and White was in the middle solely based on the three figures place in time. In other words, Dr. King came first, Bill White became high profile in Houston second and Barack Obama was elected to the President last. Jiles also stands by her position that the ad was approved by Mayor White’s campaign staff. What do you believe?

SARAH PALIN VOTED CONSERVATIVE OF THE YEAR!

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE NATIONAL BLACK REPUBLICAN PARTY!

“Thank you, sir. It is an honor to be named your ‘‘Conservative of the Year.’”

That’s how Governor Sarah Palin began her December 12, 2008 interview with John Gizzi, the Political Editor of Human Events, about her historic candidacy as the Republican vice presidential nominee as well as about current issues and her future.

Governor Sarah Palin is the first woman governor of Alaska and made history on December 4, 2006 when she took office as that state’s 11th governor. Prior to being elected governor of Alaska, she served as Mayor of Wasilla from 1996-2002, President of the Alaska Conference of Mayors and as a City Council member from1992-1996.

As a testament to her enduring popularity, Senator Saxby Chambliss attributed his surprisingly solid 15-point victory in the December 2, 2008 Georgia Senate runoff to Gov. Palin. “I can’t overstate the impact she had down here,” he said after she helped his campaign “peak” with four hugely attended election-eve rallies. Gov. Palin was the second biggest phenomenon of the 2008 election cycle, behind only our new President Barack Obama.

Click here to view the complete and well-deserved tribute paid by the NBRA to Governor Sarah Palin, a visionary woman who could be our next president.

For more information about the National Black Republican Association please visit: www.NBRA.Info/

HATE MONGER ENTERS GUILTY PLEA IN ELECTION DAY PLOT!

THEY ATTACKED PEOPLE THE NIGHT BARACK OBAMA WAS ELECTED!

A New York City man has pleaded guilty in an election-night rampage against black people last year in the wake of Barack Obama’s victory.

Prosecutors say Brian Carranza faces up to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty Monday to conspiring to assault Staten Island residents in retaliation for the election of the nation’s first black president on Nov. 4, 2008.

The 21-year-old Carranza and two friends — another white man and a Hispanic man — had been accused of beating a Liberian immigrant teen, pushing a black man to the ground and driving their car over a white man they thought was black. The last victim was in a coma for several days but survived.

The two other suspects remain free on bail after pleading not guilty.

PILOT ARRESTED IN HOUSTON FOR ATTEMPT TO SOLICIT SEX FROM 12 YEAR OLD BOY!

STEVE ANDERSON HELD ON $200,000 BOND!

A Minnesota pilot accused of flying to Houston for a meeting with a 12-year-old boy authorities say he’d been sending sexually explicit messages to was scheduled for a court hearing Monday.

Steven Donald Anderson, 28, remained jailed on two charges of online solicitation of a minor. Bond was set at $100,000 for each charge, according to online jail records. It was not immediately clear if Anderson had an attorney.

Click here to see the full video story by FOX 26’s Isiah Carey.

Deputies arrested Anderson on Friday at the boy’s home. Anderson told authorities he was on vacation and was just going to visit his friend, whom he thought was 14, said Sgt. Gary Spurger with the Harris County Precinct 4 constable’s computer crime unit.

A teacher who allegedly caught the boy sending text messages during class days earlier alerted authorities. She read some of the messages Anderson sent after taking away the boy’s BlackBerry, according to a Houston newspaper report.

Investigators pretended to be the boy and contacted Anderson on Thursday to confirm his arrival the next day.

Anderson works as a pilot for Mesaba Airlines, a commuter company owned by Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines. He and the boy met on the social networking site MySpace after Halloween, investigators said.