Monthly Archives: January 2010

RECORD SETTING DONATIONS FOR HAITI!

$57 MILLION DOLLARS AND COUNTING!

Organizers for the all-star “Hope for Haiti Now” telethon say the event raised a record-setting $57 million — and counting.

The two-hour telethon aired Friday night on the major networks and dozens of other channels, including MTV, Bravo, and PBS, and was also streamed live online. Stars like Brad Pitt, Beyonce,
Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and more used their presence to encourage donations for Haiti, following a Jan. 12 earthquake that killed an estimated 200,000 people.

A statement released Saturday said the money raised was a record. It does not include donations by corporations or via iTunes, where people are able to buy performances of the event for
99 cents.

People can still donate via text, phone or through the “Hope for Haiti” Web site.

INSITE AND FOX 26 EXCLUSIVE: MORE SHAKE UPS AT THE HOUSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT!

SIX HOUSTON FIREFIGHTERS ARE LEAVING THE CONTROVERSIAL STATION?

THE MASSIVE SHAKE UP CONTINUES AT THE HOUSTON FIRE STATION THAT’S BEEN AT THE CENTER OF CONTROVERSY FOR 6 MONTHS NOW…

WE’VE LEARNED TWO CAPTAINS AND AT LEAST THREE FIREFIGHTERS ARE BEING TRANSFERRED FROM STATION 54 AT THE HOUSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT.

IT WAS AT THAT STATION WHERE FEMALE FIREFIGHTERS JANE DRAYCOTT AND PAULA KEYES FOUND RACIST AND SEXIST GRAFFITI IN THE FEMALE DORM.

THIS COMES AS FIRE CHIEF PHIL BORISKIE OFFICIALLY ENDS HIS REIGN AS CHIEF OF THE DEPARTMENT TODAY.

WE’VE LEARNED ONE OF THE CAPTAINS WHO IS TRANSFERRING IS THE SAME CAPTAIN WHO CAME UNDER FIRE FOR READING A LETTER ALOUD TO FIREFIGHTER DRAYCOTT WHEN SHE ATTEMPTED TO RETURN TO 54 TWO WEEKS AGO. THAT LETTER INDICATED THE MEN OF THE STATION DIDN’T WANT HER TO RETURN AND THEY DIDN’T TRUST DRAYCOTT.

WE’RE STILL TRYING TO DETERMINE IF THE TRANSFERS WERE FORCED BY THE DEPARTMENT.

FIREFIGHTER UNION PRESIDENT JEFF CAYNON CONFIRMS THE LATEST SHAKE UP.

WE’LL KEEP YOU UPDATED ON THIS DEVELOPING STORY.

GO TO: WWW.MYFOXHOUSTON.COM FOR MORE DETAILS!

RAPPER MYSTIKAL IS OUT OF PRISON!

YOU THINK HE LEARNED HIS LESSON?

Reuters: After serving a six-year prison term for sexual battery and extortion, New Orleans rapper Mystikal was released from jail last week.

“My feet back on the ground. Man it’s been a long time,” Mystikal — famed for hits like “Shake Ya Ass” and “Danger (Been So Long)” — told New Orleans’ Q93 radio station.

“I’m back. I’m still trying to feel this reality. It feels like a dream. Watch how I’m going to shake this world up now. I want reparation!”

Mystikal, born Michael Tyler, was sentenced to six years in prison after being arrested along with two of his bodyguards for threatening to turn his former hairstylist in to police for cashing $80,000 worth of unauthorized checks from his bank account. The stylist said she was forced to have sex with all three men in exchange for their silence. As part of the plea bargain, all three pleaded guilty. Mystikal has five years of probation upon his release and has to be registered as a sex offender in Louisiana.

Although Mystikal pleaded guilty to forcing the female to perform sex acts, he initially denied the assault. Still, when asked if he feels rappers are targeted, he made no excuses. “I think we have to pay more attention to what we are doing to ourselves. We gotta take responsibility for what we do too,” he said. “That’s the easy excuse. We have to tighten up and not blame others. You can’t be foolish especially when you’re successful.”

Mystikal’s 2000 album, “Let’s Get Ready,” went multiplatinum and though his 2001 set, “Tarantula,” didn’t sell as well, he was planning on making a strong comeback at the time of his arrest. He said he has plenty of material written and record labels have expressed interest. He believed he owed one more album to Jive Records.

THE PLUS SIZE CRUSH WHICH LEAD TO A DEATH!

AT JUST OVER A 100 POUNDS HE COULDN’T TAKE IT!

A woman in Cleveland pleaded guilty to sitting on her 120 pound boyfriend, Mikal Middleston-Bey, and killing him.

It happened back in August, during an altercation between the couple, who share three children together.

Mia Landingham, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, during her sentencing, her boyfriend’s family spoke out letting Landingham know the pain she has caused..

“I just want to let you know how much you have hurt us by taking Mikal away from us. You have devastated our family.”

Landingham’s public defender told the judge there was a long history of domestic abuse between his client and her late boyfriend.

He also pointed out she has no prior criminal record.

Landingham then told the judge she was sorry for squashing the father of her children.

“I just want to say that I am sincerely sorry about this situation. I wish I could take it back

Judge Carolyn Friedland sentenced Landingham to three years probation and 100 hours community service.

She was immediately released from jail.

While Middleton-Bey’s family hoped Landingham would eventually be able to take part in her children’s lives, they were surprised that she got no additional jail time.

“So basically you can say that I can go sit on somebody and get probation? I feel there wasn’t no justice. My brother’s gone and all she get is three years probation.”

WHAT SOME ON THE INSITE HAVE ASKED FOR: AN ALL WHITE BASKETBALL TEAM!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

The All-American Basketball Alliance plans to start a 12-team professional league in June, made up entirely of white players. “Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league.” They released the press statement last Sunday, the day before Martin Luther King Day.

AABA commissioner Don “Moose” Lewis claims the restrictions are not racism, but simply providing a forum for whites who are “in the minority now” to play the “fundamental basketball” they enjoy.

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of “street-ball” played by “people of color.” He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas’ indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans’ dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

“Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?” he said. “That’s the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction.”

The league, based in Atlanta, hopes to play in 12 cities throughout the Southeast. They have not had much luck.

CITY COUNCIL MEMBER WANDA ADAMS GOING BACK OUT TO TACKLE THE HOMELESS PROBLEM!

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO COUNT THE HOMELESS IN HOUSTON!

It was just last year when Council Member Wanda Adams and The Insite went out on the streets of Houston to take a look at the homeless problem. Adams has since been working on the issue nonstop. Now, Adams is taking the next step counting the homeless for the census. It’s a way for Houston to get more federal funds to address the issue. Here’s a press release from the council member’s office:

On Friday, January 22nd and Friday, January 29th, the Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County will conduct a street count of unsheltered homeless throughout the City of Houston, Harris County and Fort Bend County.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires the Point-in-Time count be conducted each year within the last ten (10) days of January. We are conducting two (2) counts this year within the time period to ensure accuracy. The results of the count will be reported to HUD as part of the Continuum of Care Homeless Assistance Funding Application and will represent the need for funding to our community. Additionally, the information obtained is also used by the local governments as part of their updates to the Consolidated Plans that are also submitted to HUD and other federal government agencies that reflect the need for funding assistance.

In order to ensure this count is successful and accurately reflects the number of homeless people, we need volunteers. For additional information, please visit the Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County website at www.homelesshouston.org. Information will be found on the homepage under Events.

THE MEDIA HELPS CONTROVERSIAL CALENDAR SELL OUT!

ANY PUBLICITY STILL CAN BE GOOD PUBLICITY!

When I first broke the story last week about the female firefighter calendar put out by the group Pipes and Drums there were still calendars to be sold. The calendar which featured Houston firefighter Heather Arnold has become the subject of two investigations by the department. One for the possible unauthorized use of insignias and the other for well let’s just say take a look at it. Anyway, they always say any publicity is good publicity. That was exactly the case for the calendar. I checked the website where you order the item and it shows sold out. Despite the controversy associated with the calendar the model remains very proud of her work. Here’s is a response I received from Ms. Arnold on Wednesday…Oh, did you buy one?

Statement:
As you know the fund raiser benefits the Houston Pipe and Drums. This team dedicates their time and effort to memorializing our fallen brother and sister fire fighters many times spending their own money to do so. I was pleased to be a part of their fund raiser and will continue to support their efforts in every way possible.

Thank you.

Heather Arnold

THE LETTER THAT MAY HAVE LEAD TO FIRE CHIEF PHIL BORISKIE’S EARLY RESIGNATION!

THE INSITE AND FOX 26 NEWS HAS OBTAINED THE LETTER!

It was described as a team building effort but the return of Jane Draycott to her old fire station in Houston was anything but.

It was one week ago today when the female firefighter was set to return to station 54. Draycott was accompanied by Fire Chief Phil Boriskie and others from the command staff. She left that station 6 months ago. That’s after Draycott and fellow firefighter Paula Keyes found racist and sexist graffiti on the walls of the female dorm.

Draycott says returning to the station is what she wanted to do despite the problems she’d faced there back in July.

When Draycott arrived last Wednesday morning she was confronted by at least three firefighters including Captain Brian Williamson. He read a letter before all of those who were present including Chief Boriskie. That letter which can be found here: www.myfoxhouston.com – It essentially says they didn’t want Draycott back at the station because they were afraid of her.

That letter read aloud by Captain Williamson set into motion a chain of events that some say lead to Chief Boriskie’s early resignation from the department.

Last week Mayor Annise Parker said the command staff should’ve stopped the so called team building effort at station 54 when they realized the direction the session was going.

But did the controversial note lead to Boriskie’s early resignation? Mayor Parker made it clear the chief was going to resign even before the incident. But she says as pressures mounted Boriskie decided to resign earlier than expected. His last official day as top guy in the department is Friday. Boriskie says he will go back to his position as a district chief.

So did the team building effort and the controversial letter lead to Boriskie’s early resignation? Take a look at the document and you decide if it was appropriate!

Excerpts from the letter to Jane Draycott:

“The crew of this shift and myself feel that we are unable to trust you.”

“I ask that you reevaluate your decision to return to 54A.”

See the full letter at: www.myfoxhouston.com