PROMINENT HOUSTON MINISTER AND WIFE FOUND GUILTY IN FEDERAL CASE NOW THEY FACE FIVE YEARS IN PRISON!

Bishop David Montgomery (Source: MySpace)

David A. Montgomery and wife Bridget M. Montgomery have been found guilty on all counts as charged, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced today. The Montgomerys founded their own church, Restoration Temple Church of God in Christ, located in Humble, Texas, with David Montgomery as its Pastor. The verdicts were returned after less than two days of trial and approximately 3.5 hours of deliberation.

David and Bridget Montgomery were charged and convicted of conspiring to impair and impede the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in its computation and collection of income taxes between January 2003 and April 2006. The jury also convicted them of two counts of making false statements in relation to their 2004 and 2005 income tax returns by under-reporting their gross income from their construction business, Montgomery’s Contracting.

The trial began Tuesday morning, Aug. 7, 2012. The United States presented a series of witnesses, most of whom were pastors or representatives of small local churches for whom the Montgomerys performed construction services in exchange for payments from 2003-2005. An IRS agent also testified that the loss of tax revenue to the U.S. Treasury was approximately $600,000 due to these payments not being claimed on their income tax returns.

Mr. Montgomery’s defense was that a friend in the construction industry, since deceased, advised him that if he ploughed funds earned from their construction business into their church, they did not have to report it to the IRS and pay tax on it. Mrs. Montgomery contended that she made mistakes because she was in over her head when she prepared the returns.

In addition to the testimony and evidence of payments for services to the Montgomerys, the government presented evidence that they repeatedly manipulated financial information according to their financial interest. For instance, they claimed more income than they reported to the IRS in applications for a $900,000 loan and in several applications for credit to purchase luxury automobiles.

Both were permitted to remain on bond pending their sentencing hearing, to be set at a later date. At that time, they face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine for the conspiracy conviction and a maximum of three years and a $100,000 fine on each of the false statements convictions.

The case was investigated by IRS-Criminal Investigation. The trial was handled by Assistant United States Attorneys Stephen Corso, Julie Redlinger and Charles Escher.

1. Maria Wright August 9, 2012 6:08 pm

Satan the Lord rebuke you! The Lord my God shall cast out all evildoers and cast them into the lake of fire. No weapons formed against you Pastor and 1 st Lady shall prosper, the devil is a liar. Wow, what have this world come to? You slay people that are for God and love for Christ and are doing for the community, but for those that that are rich and famous u treat them with royalty who cares nothing about your souls, why? Touch not my anointed and do His profits no harm. I pray for those who did this and may God have mercy on your souls!

2. Christian August 11, 2012 9:20 pm

@Maria Wright, just because someone bears the name “Bishop” or “First Lady” doesn’t mean that they are God’s anointed. Remember there are wolves in sheep clothing. All that profess the Name of Jesus Christ are not His. Jesus said to give to God what is God’s and to Cesar what is Cesar’s. It’s time out for the Church allowing this to happen. When the perpetrators are caught then some in the Church wants to claim it as the work of Satan against these ministers. Absolutely not! God takes His Church very seriously and will cleanse and purify His Church. We cannot blame Satan for everything. Blame the flesh and greed. So yes one should pray for God’s mercy. God is very merciful but He is also a holy and righteous Judge. There is a world hurting and seeking for answers and help. What happens when the world sees this? What would be the use of coming to Christ after seeing this? We are ambassadors and representatives of Christ and we should act as such! Thank God for purifying HIs Church. He will not allow His sheep to be led astray!

• Destiny hollins August 13, 2012 3:52 pm

You have preachers who are melesting kids, children who are rapped everyday, people who actually seek to kill and destroy everything about a person mentally and physically, but yet you focus ur attention to this. This man and woman of GOD has done nothing to be critisized like this. He has been nothing but great to people. I have witnessed this. People have been against him from the beginning from preachers coming to OUR church with threats because their members wanted another way to receive GOD. He has helped people who were in need from people who had no means of transportation, to the lady without groceries in her home to feed her grand kids to the woman that’s a single mom who suffers from parent neglection and abuse (me) and all u think about is taxes it’s people who don’t pay taxes all the time and it also people who kill everyday but u rather focus ur attention on him…. What about the homeless, the rapped, the abandoned and everyone in need. no one is perfect in GOD eyes. Everyone makes mistakes including you (slandering a man of GOD).

3. Destiny hollins August 13, 2012 3:33 pm

4. LK August 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Here’s my take on the situation, I am a member of the church in question. It’s a strange way I become a member of this church. I will share: many years ago my husband and I were back from the military and were living with relatives. My uncle told me if I didn’t want to go to church I can’t stay with him, so we left because we were young and didn’t want to go to his church. I didn’t like the church and didn’t want to be forced to go. I asked the pastor to help my mom because they were going to take her off housing but he replied he didn’t want to get into government Issue. So he was not real to me and his message didn’t reach me. My family and I moved to the north side of town in which we are from. We moved with his mother who didn’t require such things. While living there I begin to see my little brothers and sister in laws struggles and we help when we could but my little sister in law had found a church off of Langley and she (15 years old) would go and take my babies with her, which I didn’t like because I was not use to everyone taking care of my kids (they were very young ) since we lived in Virginia for the last 3 years away from family. David Montgomery visited the house and made an invitation to his church. My family still did not go to church, but the bishop give my brothers and sister money for food and clothing.
    After many years of no stability, I said to myself, my kids are growing older they need to know about god. So I went to a church that I got to know in my community through their good works. But I didn’t like it because of the demographics. My kids did learn about Jesus but I needed more. I need a message that I could remember based on the delivery. After many years of asking god for a career, I received one and that’s where I met this man who would later introduce me to my Bishop and first lady. When the co worker asked me to attend church I told him Houston is a large place and I’m not drive all over town to find this place, and when he told me it was where I grow up at, all signs was a go. The person who invited me was a survivor of his on struggle, in which I had the honor to witness, at one point he was dying. I told this man you will not make it out of this, how will you make it and he said with the great confidence I knew him to have “Yes I will, my god will see me through this thing”. He was so weak but he had already seen his victory.
    So I went to the church and I felt at home, his delivery was full of sense of humor, he spoke of things that concerned me and things that related to my life. Even though god allowed the bishop and his family acquire the American Dream , they chose to reach out to the community and build a church in the area in which they came from, not placing their money in a Swiss account or traveling the world but letting the world know that, I love and so does god.
    Perhaps, didn’t handle their business correctly, in the same way that they acquired his American Dream, but the reason I write this message to the media is because this Bishop and his wife built this church from ground up with their own funds and chooses to help their own people. I would not call him a man of greed. I would say he is a great family man and an even greater orator who comes from humble beginnings and I thank him and his wife for standing up for their community and pray that this is but a testimony, There are many Dreams that await this congregation. I and many others are here to witness yet another miracle.

5. SR August 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Suppose this minister came up to you and asked to borrow $1,000, and told you “I’m good for it, I just had some medical bills, but I make $10,000 a month, and I’ll pay you back next month”, and you gave them the money. TWO months later, you walk up to the person asking for your money back, but you’re told “I can’t pay you back. I only make $1,500 a month.”

“But you told me that you make $10,000 a month!” you protest.

His reply: “I made a mistake in calculating my income.”

Has he not stolen money from you?

Why is it different when they claim to make one amount to borrow money from a bank, and then turn around and tell the government that they made much, much less so that they would have to pay much less in taxes? Is it just because they are “one of us”, or do we have so much disdain for our country that we loudly applaud when one of our own cheats the system?

We all made fun of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker when their “religious” PTL kingdom crumbled, and many of us said with venom and vigor, “I always knew they were ripping people off”.

Where is the outrage when someone in our black community does the very thing for which we ourselves condemn white people? What does this say about our souls – our very SOULS – when we applaud this type of sin?

6. LaLa September 6, 2012 3:15 am

Me personally I would really like for the devil to go to hell and be cast in the fire where he or she belongs David and bridgette montgomery did nothing wrong at all they built that church with there own funds and even had fundraisers to also help build that church but i also agree with destiny there are sex affenders who are on the streets and people being killed everyday and your out here charging this man of god how dare you claim that this man and wife stole from the irs they dont want yall money they have survived from when they were having church in a tent they built this organization for people to come to church i think the case shall be dismissed for the certain purpose your wasting your time trying to convict these godly people a crime that they didnt commit! And for who ever that went to the church and gave the reporter the picture of these two peolple may god have mercy on your soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. The Truth September 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Funny how people are sharing stories of how David Montgomery helped them, yet David has a SON that he doesn’t even acknowledge and has never supported. But GOD sees and know everything. This article proves just that. I still pray for him and his family

8. reflections September 14, 2012 6:11 pm

man david has an older son that most people have seen and met, yet the other children, and his wife doesnt know. all i know is, I bet he wish he done right by acknowledging him instead of lying about it and covering it up.. DAVID has to do right, and yes he helped people with his right hand, but in his left hand, he was dead wrong to some especially to his own “oldest son”

keep it real

9. cj October 10, 2012 5:32 pm

This has been such a hard situation these are truly some of God’s good people that made a mistake. No we are not perfect we are human bad things happen to good people. But what i can say is that whatever the outcome is God has a plan for all of this. If we read in our bibles God uses mistakes and makes great warriors it may not seem like it but God is the author and finisher of all things. I personally know the heart of these people and their intent was not bad or greed just wanting to do more for the people of God. We as people of the most high God should pray rather than talk bad against on another. Prayer can fix it for u..

10. Hank January 8, 2013 4:34 pm

he built my church, he got me a house & a car. I find no fault.

• l34r t1 n1p33k January 17, 2013 11:45 am

@ Hank, you find no fault because you have benefited from what was done for you and you do not know the whole truth… If there was no incentive toward him for helping you, it would not be from sincere intentions. GOD used him to help you. If you were on the receiving end of what David has done to others in secret, you would truthfully understand. hopefully he and his family have learned a grand lesson from all of this.

11. Lois Robinson January 9, 2013 5:16 pm

I hope the pastor and his wife have learned their lesson.

12. Kg February 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Praying for you David and Bridgett

13. Sheree March 29, 2013 9:15 am

I use to be a member of this church a while back. I started going to this church because I traveled so far to go to my previous church. I really enjoyed it for awhile because it was closer to home and I got a chance to go more often than I did to my previous church. Yes they were very nice but the church that they were building never got done. I found that very odd and they had a building fund and constantly took up money from the congregation even during bible study and I dont mean pennies either. I also noticed that the pastor and his wife both drove very fine vehicles. I am not accusing anybody of anything, but where did all the money go. Today the church still remains unfinished. I left that church after a few months and returned to my previous chuch and have been there ever since.

• frank dobbs June 5, 2013 6:17 pm

They owe my client over 65k for materials in this church and they exercise their right and went to court and gained a judgement with a settlement in favor of a discount and payments that the pastor said he could afford he never made a payment so they went and got a full judgement and i wanted to meet with the pastor and see if we could settle the matter and he called the police and told me that seeing i was white i would be arrested for trespassing if i came on his property, are we not all gods children? wake up parish this guy is out to cheat everyone he can.
      If this is how God intends us to represent him and his house? I have been studying for years and this is not the message i got.