THE WEST DOCUMENTARY: AN INSIDE LOOK AT ALIEF!

1. Gina Katsaros November 20, 2012 8:49 pm

This is a very sad commentry on Alief. I recognize many of the losers that are in this film. It does not show the good hard working people that are in Alief. Those that don’t think SWAT is a place. At one time, Houston Police Department had a gang task force in the area and gang activity was greatly reduced. The schools can only do so much. This film encourages young impressionable young people to join. Most of those shown cannot complete even a short sentence without saying “ya know what I *&*(( mean. The interesting fact is that this was created by a Harvard graduate raised in Alief and educated in Alief schools. I am very disappointed that he could not show a balanced representation of the situation but I guess there would be no interest in that. I personally know numerous in the Alief area that have had a great positive impact on our society. To the creator of this film, thanks for nothing. It makes me angry!!! This is NOT Alief!

2. SouthWestPayDay November 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I was raised in Alief, Leawood 3 to be exact. I lived there from Boone Elementary, to Olle Middle School to Hastings High School. I can confirm the Alief I know is EXACTLY like that….and I came up in it when it was worse back from 1980 to 1996….REAL talk….don’t know what Alief you are talking about that’s all roses and butterflies, but that’s not the Alief I know….maybe you got it confused with Sugar Land or something homie. :-/

• LaLaJay November 29, 2012 11:26 pm

I’m so tired of seeing this film being promoted! I went to the SAME exact schools as you @ SouthWestPayDay. When I was born I went straight to Alief in 1984 and never left! I think you and the people around you choose that horrible lifestyle! My mom is a single mom that raised five kids. Two girls and three boys and we all went to and graduated college. My mom didn’t have much but we lived a great life in alief and I am STILL living a great life in Alief Leawood to be exact. Back in the day Alief was damn near a suburb! Now it’s gone to hell but it’s still not what’s protrayed in this film. It’s not all like that. It’s just not!

3. Shana Rose November 20, 2012 11:10 pm

I’m not sure I even understand what the point of this movie is. Not only is it a gross misrepresentation of what I see when I ride through my neighborhood (in Alief), it lacks focus and substance. Now I have to go to bed with a bunch of images of black men waving guns and bandanas in my backyard. That is literally all I got from this film. The dialogue was very difficult to understand and made a mockery of these young men. The production was good but there was no story line. I think this opportunity could have or should have brought a lot more credibility to the problem, to enlist people to come together to help our young people. This film made me scared to even ride down Dairy Ashford, let alone help one of these brothers get a job. Sad, very sad.

4. Tanya November 29, 2012 11:45 pm

I grew up in Alief and spent most of my life there. We moved in 2001 because our home kept being broken into. There are a lot of great and wonderful people who live there. This “documentary” is not reflective of all the cultures that live there and the other positive aspects found in Alief. With that being said I have not been back in many years except to China town because of the crime. I hope that someone else comes along to create a documentary that is more of a true story of this neighborhood. I am proud to say that I grew up in the SWAT but I am definitely not one of those thugged out people who has to tote a gun to get respect.

5. SouthWestPayDay April 26, 2013 12:26 am

LaLaJay: I didn’t choose to live any kind of gangsta lifestyle. I’m just saying it was already like that. I was home when the girl got killed in the drive-by on Glenwolde (that was my street). I was there when Cedric Paddio got shot and killed one street over. I can’t even count how many gang wars Black Disciples, SouthWest Cholos, La Tercera and Lords Of Alief had in those same schools you said you went to. It was a suburb when I moved there in 1981, but rapidly turned into one of the worst areas in Houston by the time I moved in 1996. Leawood was like that, I don’t know about whatever part you grew up in that was so much nicer.