In an effort to provide taxpayers a guide to understanding the district’s budget, the Houston Independent School District is hosting a series of community meetings across the city that will outline the budgeting process from planning, to adoption and implementation.
“We want our constituents to understand how HISD’s budget process works, how much money does each school get and even how they can get involved,” said HISD Chief Financial Officer Kenneth Huewitt. “Our goal is to ensure HISD’s budget and financial information is readily available and user friendly so that taxpayers know exactly how their tax dollars are allocated and spent.”
The meetings will cover key aspects of HISD’s budgeting process such as where the money comes from, how much is designated to each of the 276 campuses, who decides how the money is spent at each campus and who monitors the budget, among other topics.
HISD’s General Manager of Budget and Financial Planning Sharon Eaves will be leading the budget presentations at the community meetings.
Upcoming Community Budget Meetings:
· April 30 – 6 p.m. at Madison High School (13719 Whiteheather)
· May 1 – 6 p.m. at Oak Forest Elementary School (1401 West 43rd)
· May 2 – 6 p.m. at Key Middle School (4000 Kelly)
· May 7 – 6 p.m. at Jones High School (7414 Saint Lo)
· May 8 – 6 p.m. at Bellaire High School (5100 Maple)
· May 13 – 6 p.m. at Lamar High School (3325 Westheimer)
· May 14 – 6 p.m. at Revere Middle School (10502 Briar Forest)
· May 15 – 6 p.m. at Reagan High School (413 East 13th)
· May 16 – 6 p.m. at Milby High