One Jag Nation, One Chapter & One Voice
My name is Millette Clayton Scott. I am a loyal Southern University Alumnus; a member of the Southern University Alumni Association- Houston Chapter and I would like to become your next President of the Houston Chapter.
For the past few years, I’ve served as the Executive Vice-president of our Chapter and I have enjoyed bringing ideals and opportunities to our Houston Chapter as well as support to the SU System. I have been instrumental in mastering the Mardi Gras Gala for our chapter and making it a profitable/ impressive event for our alumni members to attend. Our Chapter is one of the most active chapters in the Alumni Association and as your next Chapter President; I will diligently work to move our Chapter forward to the envy of the Alumni Federation. There is plenty of room for membership growth, membership retention and goal setting that will provide significant support to our beloved Southern University System.
During my tenure as Chapter President, I will work to contact, engage, serve, empower, and acknowledge you through meaningful services, events and outreach. My style of leadership will be to manage the Houston chapter through the executive council. Transparency will be the lynchpin to all that we do. I understand that the President and the executive council serve as a pleasure to the membership.
Here’s my SIX POINT ACTION PLEDGE:
1. I pledge to increase membership in the Chapter through marketing, contact, and collaboration with the alumni, students, the community and proper administration. Communication and contact would include a viable and current website and active Social Media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram and other Southern University social outlets.
2. I pledge to increase engagement and participation in events from diverse interests, talents, and community and alumni utilizing those resources to raise awareness and funds.
3. I pledge to nurture the bonds that connect the Southern University family while reconnecting alumni and their families to the University and each other by providing resources to assist families and friends with information about scholarship opportunities.
4. I pledge to involve corporate sponsors, local, regional and national to support fundraising events to provide more scholarships (partial and full) to students wishing to attend Southern University. Grants will be solicited to supplement chapter budgets for events.
5. I pledge to promote the development of a long term Houston Chapter office building assessable to the alumni, students, and community through the solicitation of grants.
6. I pledge to create and schedule ongoing events and academic college fairs to provide resources to the community, parents, churches, local businesses, and educational institutions.
GET TO KNOW ME:
I’m a native of Brusly, Louisiana. I obtained my Bachelor of Science degree in Rehabilitation Services from Southern University A&M College in 1990 and a Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling Psychology in 1993 from Southern University Graduate School. I am currently a member of Chi Sigma Iota (Counseling, Academic and Professional Honor Society). I have been working for the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services for over 11 years as a vocational rehabilitation counselor who assists individuals with disabilities to overcome vocational limitations, which enables them to prepare for, find and keep employment. In the past, I have worked as a Director of Rehabilitation Services and as a clinical director with Meridian Rehabilitation Center.
I am currently an active member of TRAN (Texas RehabACTion Network) and was recently elected as executive vice-president. The TRAN organization advocate for public VR, we educate each other and our communities about the return on investment we gain from public VR, and celebrate the differences we can achieve for the VR consumers we serve in the Lone Star state of Texas. I have assisted on several committees and have helped with different fundraising activities.
I have received various awards along the way, and I am currently a member of the Quentin Mease Advisory Board, National Coalition of 100 Black Women, the National Rehabilitation Association, Texas Rehabilitation Association, Houston Area Rehabilitation Association, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, owner of Rhinestone Entertainment, Executive Vice-president of the Southern University Houston Chapter, and formal Chairman of the 2011-2012 Alumni Mardi Gras Gala.
Please elect me as President of the Southern University Alumni – Houston Chapter.
I need your vote!