WHAT: Operation USO Houston May 1 – May 31, 2014 A month-long awareness-building and fundraising campaign to support the USO’s local program and services for troops and military families. Every moment counts for our troops and their families. Many of us take everyday moments in our lives for granted – from family dinners and bed time stories to connecting with friends and family, or walks with the dog. But these are the very moments that our troops and their families sacrifice and miss due to their commitment and service to our country. Host: USO Houston Participants: The Greater Houston and South East Texas community Beneficiaries: Troops and Military Families Full details at: http://us.uso.org/OperationUSOHouston2014.aspx
• May 1st – 17th: Every Moment Counts Flag. The USO is attempting to set a world record for the most signatures on a flag because we want to give the troops the largest thank you ever. USO Houston has a 3’ x 5’ panel of the flag to collect signatures locally. The flag can also be signed electronically at www.usomoments.org.
• May 3rd – 4th: Brian Cushing ProCamp. Fifty percent or 150 of the participants at Brian Cushing’s youth football camp will be local military children, thanks to a donation of camp scholarships to USO Houston by Kroger and Proctor & Gamble. Pearland High School, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
• May 4: Lemonade Day. For the third year in a row, middle schooler Grace Dry will host a lemonade stand benefiting troops and military families via USO Houston. This year, Grace is setting up at a Kroger store in Richmond, Texas.
• May 14th: Brilliant Lecture Series featuring Lone Survivor Marcus Luttrell. In partnership with USO Houston, BLS is offering specially priced seating and discounts for local troops and military families to see Marcus Luttrell’s presentation at the Wortham Center about his harrowing experience as a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan.
• May 17th (Armed Forces Day): Houston Astros. USO Houston is partnering with our Houston Astros for Armed Forces Day. We’ll be collecting flag signatures during Bayou Bash before the game and troops will participate in pre-game activities
• May 30th: Grand Opening of new USO Center in Houston. The fourth USO Center in Houston will officially open at the end of the month at the Military Entrance Processing Station downtown. The Center will serve over 10,000 new recruits annually. • May 1st – 31st: KRBE’s Roula & Ryan Show are supporting the USO all month and are hosting a donation drive in support of the USO Centers in Houston. Details at KRBE.com.
• May 1st – 31st: Bounce Energy and Direct Energy are running month-long social media campaigns, benefiting USO Houston. Simply like Bounce Energy’s Facebook page and write a note to a service member on Direct Energy’s Facebook page. ##### About the USO The USO lifts the spirits of America¹s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff. In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, Clear Channel, The Coca-Cola Company, jcpenney, Jeep, Kangaroo Express, Kroger, Lowe’s, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Procter & Gamble, and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation and TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this patriotic mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org. In Houston, the USO provides a touch of home to nearly 50,000 troops and military families annually who visit the USO Centers at Bush Intercontinental Airport, Hobby Airport, and Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base. Additionally, the USO offers morale-boosting and family-strengthening programs to the 8,000 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen and their families who are based in Walker, Harris, Montgomery, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston and Jefferson counties. We also serve those Greater Houston-based families geographically separated from a loved one who is deployed or stationed overseas. The USO is here for those who need us the most: our troops and military families, our wounded, ill and injured troops and their caregivers, our troops in transition, and our families of the fallen. More than 275 volunteers and an Advisory Council help three Houston-based staff members deliver goodness to our troops and their families year-round. Connect with USO Houston: www.uso.org/houston www.facebook.com/USOHouston www.twitter.com/USOHouston