SHERIFF’S OFFICE: GOSPEL SINGER JAMES FORTUNE ARRESTED!

In the news again…Fox 26 News has learned Grammy nominated gospel singer James Fortune has been arrested.

According to staffers at the Fort Bend County Sheriff’s office Fortune was released on a $20,000 bond around 3 pm Friday.

He was charged with assault / domestic violence involving a family member.

The Factor has not been able to reach Fortune’s reps as of yet but we’re working on it.

But the confirmation of the arrest comes from staffers at the Sheriff’s office.

You may remember in 2012 when James Fortune was accused in a civil lawsuit of abusing his then 4 year old stepson (incident allegedly occurred in 2001) by putting the child in scolding hot water.

That son is now 17 years old.

Update: Sources now tell the Factor the alleged victim in this case is Cheryl Fortune. The wife of the gospel singer.

1. Anonymous October 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Didn’t you learn from bugs flying in yo mouf. That’s why you got fired last time Isaiah. Keep yo damn mouf closed.

• Anonymous October 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Nope, there are some of us out here that want to know the truth. He is a monster and deserves to be exposed. You make sure you’re not spitting bugs out of your mouth.

2. Erica King October 25, 2014 2:09 am

I am ashamed of him knowing he was a member of The Fountain of Praise church, which I belong. Pastor Wright teaches about love and compassion which James Fortune did not learn. I don’t care for his gospel music anyway. To sing the gospel, you have to live the gospel. Although he’s human and we must forgive in Jesus name .

3. Feeling bad October 25, 2014 11:00 am

This is so sad to hear, he really needs help and should pay for his crimes. Very bad for Fountain of praise!!!!

4. viola October 25, 2014 11:52 am

Will Radio One and The Gospel Music Industry continue to ignore this man’s crimes or wil he finally be held accountable? I live in Houston and what’s sad is that everyone who knows the family is not shocked. The kids called 911 because they could not take it any more. He’s always been hitting on her.

• Anonymous October 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Viola, is he charged with assaulted his wife? When I first read about the horrible things he did to that baby in 2001, I could not for the life of me understand how the mother of that child would stay married to him unless she had emotional challenges and/or serious self-esteem issues. I said a prayer for her. I was never a fan of his style of music (talking throughout the song).

5. Steffanie Sandles October 25, 2014 4:12 pm

if you are going to report the news can we at least do it correctly. If the little boy that he is accused of abusing was four years in 2012 how is he now 17 years old? Smh

• unknown October 27, 2014 12:03 pm

@Steffanie Sandles ** the incident happened in 2002, the childs father filed a lawsuit against him in 2012..

6. viola October 25, 2014 4:41 pm

It’s not inaccurate. Just poorly stated and not explained. James was sued in 2012 for medical costs for injuries to ll a child who was 4 years old at the time in the year 2001. He plead guilty for holding down the child in scalding hot water. The baby suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over and spent 63 days in the hospital. He was permanently disfigured. Now back to 2012. James was ordered to pay all medical costs back in 2001. He never paid. So the father of the child sued him in 2012 for back money and for a needed surgery the child was old enough to have. In the 2012 the child was 14 at the time nearing the age of 15. Now it’s 2014 and the child is 17. It’s confusing, I know.

• Anonymous October 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Wow, this is my first time reading the specifics of what he did to that child! Viola, if what you are saying is true, how in the world could the child’s mother stay married to a man that abused her child in such a horrendous manner? Especially since he shows no remorse — I say this because he had the audacity to say the child’s father was suing him now because he was rich and famous. No, Dude- how about he is suing you to pay for medical treatment that is necessary for his son’s life-long injuries that YOU caused?!! God is not pleased!

@Erica, I don’t know if that was a typo on your part, but JF is proof that you do NOT have to live the gospel in order to sing what is categorized at Gospel music. Sad, but true.

• Anonymous October 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Still shaking my head at the baby having to spend 63 days in the hospital. My heart aches at the thought of the pain that child had to have been in and might continue to live with even today. I shudder(I literally just shuddered) to think of what I would have done to this guy had that been a child I knew and loved….his behind would have been in the hospital for 63 days when I finished with him and that is no joke! I dang sure would not still be living in the same house at this criminal! Ugh!!!

• anonymous October 31, 2014 10:22 pm

“JF is proof that you do NOT have to live the gospel in order to sing what is categorized at Gospel music.”

Truth. I learned this many years ago; not everyone who talks about God is godly, or sincere for that matter.

Remember Matthew 15:8: “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” Even Satan could quote scripture! Do not be deceived.

7. viola October 26, 2014 3:09 am

Ok, I know all the parties involved in both incidents. Cheryl was ordered to go through psychiatric evaluation after the 2001 event. The report stated James is a very charismatic and manipulate sociopath. Cheryl is so influenced by him she is unable to act in the best interest of her children or herself.

8. Anonymous October 26, 2014 4:17 pm

lets just pray for jf and his family

9. Anonymous October 26, 2014 9:40 pm

I just learned the details of the case. Too horrifying to mention before the press. But some of you are going to have some egg on your face when the details come to light. My heart goes out to this family. James must get off the air and go work on his anger issues.

10. anonymous October 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Pray for them

11. anonymous October 27, 2014 1:57 pm

Radio One must make a move–Domestic Violence is real and it is time for James to work on himself

12. SDR October 27, 2014 3:02 pm

This is so shocking…we all fall short. Pray that he gets help and pray that his wife leaves…for her own safety. God’s got her back!

13. Anon October 27, 2014 5:00 pm

He kicked and stomped his wife’s pelvis and legs.

14. Anonymous 2 October 27, 2014 6:05 pm

That is what I heard from a very close source and her pelvis was broken. The kids called ambulance and the hospital called the police after treating her injuries.

15. Anonymous 2 October 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Stafford police department Case ID 14-2940PD

16. d.cole October 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Why don’t we pray instead of talking about something not proven……stop gossiping and get a life, this is between James F and God

17. Anon October 28, 2014 10:06 pm

I’m sorry but no it’s not between James and God. Who wants this man free to hurt weaker people? Why are religious people so willing to let this stuff go? I don’t get it.

18. anonymous October 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Not gonna call him a monster or whatever, only God knows what’s in the hearts of men. However, “by their fruits you will know them.” Doesn’t this guy have a history of abuse – putting that child in scalding water? And some people wanna turn and act like it all never happened? Please.

The truth needs to come out. Yes his family deserves some privacy, but his actions need to be exposed and he held accountable. If this man didn’t want to be a public figure he should’ve stayed out the entertainment business. It reminds me of when Creflo Dollar’s trifling ass choked his daughter a few years ago, and many in the so-called Christian community remained silent about it, what, for his family??

Silence only helps the perpetrators!!!

19. James drummer November 5, 2014 1:00 pm

I know James personally, and tour with James. JAMES BEEN BEATING CHERYL FORTUNE FOR YEARS!!!!!! Now there you have it. For the record I’m his musician.

• James drummer November 5, 2014 1:01 pm

Wow! Lol.

20. Anonymous January 21, 2015 5:18 am

I don’t personally know Mr. Fortune or his family. I do know that we are ALL held accountable before God for our EVERY word and deed. In this situation there is a lot of counseling and prayer that needs to take place. We who are CLAIMING to be “Christians” need to begin to live a lifestyle that reflects Jesus within us. Mrs. Fortune seems to have made her report to those who handle these situations. Everyone else needs to be praying or offering the family their tangible. assistance. Otherwise keep your mouths and opinions to yourselves for gossipers, liers, homosexuals, murderers, SINNERS all have a place….the lake of fire.

21. Anonymous January 21, 2015 5:23 am

Romans 1. Please read. Emphasis on 1:32a “who knowing the judgement of God, that they which commit such things are worty of death.”