The Factor has learned there is a protest scheduled this Sunday ‘outside the home’ of the Texas State Trooper who arrested Sandra Bland.

That protest is being spearheaded by activist Quanell X.

I spoke with him this morning and he says the public is invited.

Quanell X says he plans to march with students and community folk!

1. MV Fontaine July 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Isiah, I watched Roland Martin on News One Now this morning. I could not believe the info being presented. I will not go into a lot of detail here, listen, every officer I know would have requested that Ms. Bland extinguish her cigarette for officer safety. There is a right way and a wrong way for drivers to conduct themselves during a traffic stop. Indeed there are ‘bad’ officers conducting traffic stops, this in no way negates the fact that drivers should not attempt to right the wrongs of said officers during the stop!!! You cannot try your case on the side of the road!!! This is why the public can file Internal Affairs complaints. I was with you last in Dallas when you interviewed me re the Kennedy assassination. I would like to discuss this matter with you as I would like to offer the perspective of a retired Motorcycle Officer who conducted thousands of traffic stops… I in no way am making judgements of any kind. I simply would like to offer another point of view, perhaps my ability to do so may save a life or lives. Thank you!!! Looking forward to hearing from you. Michael Fontaine, METRO PD Retired, Motorcycle Division.

• DK July 22, 2015 12:32 pm

I’m commenting simply to say “well said” to you, MV Fontaine. There is a time and place to dispute a traffic stop. During the stop is NOT the time. If more people would understand this, there would be far less issues.

• LIVES MATTER July 26, 2015 11:07 am

In our society, every profession has those that bring a bad name to the profession itself…law enforcement, teachers, lawyers, etc.

One bad apple can ruin the bunch…if you let it. STOP PASSING JUDGEMENT on everyone. Our society is fortunate to have great people who are willing to give their life for the safety of others.

Thank you for your service!

2. SeekingPeace July 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Here’s what we all know for sure. Unfortunately, and tragically, Sandra Bland is dead. Anything beyond that, none of us know. Calling Brian Encinia bad words or saying it was her own fault, none of that helps or furthers the goal of peace and love – which is what we all seek. Without pouring anymore gas on this already smoldering situation – if either one of them could take back their actions, I’m sure they would. I have been in a traffic situation where I was stopped for, what I felt at the time, was a bogus stop. I talked a lot of trash, and I then found out I was driving on a suspended license and I was taken to jail. That being said, this could have been me – but for the grace of God. The judge in my case made me write a letter of apology to the arresting officer. I did – and you know what, doing that really humanized the police officer for me. But unlike Sandra Bland, I was given that chance. We don’t know what happened to Sandra Bland. We all have our suspicions, but none of us know. What I can say for me is that, if I am not adding to the conversation in a way that creates peace – I truly am a part of the problem. Don’t you think this officer would have done things differently in hindsight. Don’t you think he is going through his own version of hell about this. He made mistakes, he sure did – but so did she. She expected her knowledge of her rights and her righteous indignation to work on her behalf – it backfired. She was technically right….DEAD RIGHT.

So where do we go from here. People will start a fund for him and there will be more division. There will be marches for her….and more division. This is not going to end well unless both sides begin to seek peace and love one another. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It’s very simple and very basic but so many really don’t practice it. A kind answer turns away wrath. Be the first one to say “I’m sorry” or “I understand”, or “you know what, I respect your point of view”. Show compassion to yourself and to others. Really place yourself in someone else’s shoes. Sometimes, things are not the way you think just because you have created a story about it in your head, you could actually be wrong. Sometimes you just need to be silent. None of us are in a position to judge him or her.

The Peace Prayer
    (St. Francis of Assisi)
    Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    Where there is injury, pardon;
    Where there is error, the truth;
    Where there is doubt, the faith;
    Where there is despair, hope;
    Where there is darkness, light;
    And where there is sadness, joy.
    O Divine Master,
    Grant that I may not so much seek
    To be consoled, as to console;
    To be understood, as to understand;
    To be loved as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive;
    It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

• DK July 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Also well said! You’re spot on.

Most of us have been pulled over at some point in life and it always sucks. Nobody enjoys getting pulled over and we definitely don’t like tickets. I’ve believed many of my traffic stops to be BS stops, but what good would arguing with the officer do? When I was younger, I copped an attitude a couple times with the officer and it didn’t benefit me in any way. I had one cop tell me “had you just shut your mouth, I would have let you off with a warning….but here’s your ticket.” You always have a choice. You can make things as easy as possible, or you can make them much, much worse. It’s a shame a life is gone and I wish it hadn’t ended that way. But at this point, we still don’t have all the details. She did not die under that officer’s supervision. He only handled her arrest. And while people disagree with the arrest, it does mean people should be gathering in the street in front of his home to instill fear in this man. They’re wrong, wrong, wrong.

• Anonymous July 25, 2015 12:42 pm

In Hempstead it’s business as usual. It’s the outsiders trying to divide us. His efforts failed in Hempstead so now he goes to Katy to stir the pot. I pray for all involved.

• susan July 27, 2015 10:27 am

Very well written and the prayer for peace says it all for me. Thank You!

3. MV Fontaine July 22, 2015 1:03 pm

…this being my first time responding to Insite (as I recall) I did not know to post my comments under another story relating to this incident. I have no comments re this planned protest.

4. No one July 25, 2015 12:59 pm

You don’t need to be standing in front of anyone’s house and causing problems for an issue that will only cause more problems and it won’t change the fact that she’s gone. Don’t go over there and put his family or others in the community in danger over your high school bull shit stunt.
    Grow up.

• CONCERNED July 26, 2015 10:55 am

ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!! Pay him a lot and he will bring the show!

5. Anonymous July 25, 2015 4:08 pm

How dare thwy decide to come disrupt our neighborhood. He isn’t even home! He probably fears for his safety and his family’s. If she didn’t kill herself this wouldn’t be an issue. Let it go what’s done is done. Now they want to come into my neighborhood and acare my children? I didn’t arrest her why should my life be disrupted?! You want peaxe but yet you all drag it out. How is that peaceful?! People need to learn respect! You talk back you get arrested. Just pull over and cooperate!

6. CONCERNED July 26, 2015 10:54 am

I have not found reason for a protest to be held at the residance of this LEO. While there may have been issues with the stop and/or arrest, she was in the wrong. It is sad that she took her OWN life (as found by medical staff), the LEO did NOT kill her.

She has had issues with the law before and I would suspect that is why she had taken up the cross to advocate for ‘justice’. Why be hypocritical? Live your life appropriately and according to the law and you should not have reason to fear for anything.

When I am pulled over, I do as I am told and as I have always been taught since learning to drive. MAKE NO SUDDEN MOVES and provide the LEO with the information they request. Be RESPECTFUL!! She did not do that and that is why things were handled as they were.Could the trooper handled things better…YES! I think he might even say so. LESSONS are learned everyday.

Maybe if her “FRIEND” and “FAMILY” would have helped her and posted her bond, we wouldn’t be here today!!

LEAVE THIS BE….let her RIP and let the DPS officials handle the trooper!

7. LET THIS END July 26, 2015 11:04 am

Let this all end. Let those who are in positions to investigate the situation do their job. Instead of showing out and getting your name in paper and face on TV, get a REAL JOB! Let the investigation play out and let DPS handle their Trooper.

Taking ones own life is not something anyone understands. We always want to say that the person we knew wouldn’t do such a thing…I know because I lived through that in my own family. It is sad and tragic. As those who shared a cell near her stated, if only someone would have answered her calls. Or if her ‘friend’ would have come to post her bond.

If you want to point fingers and throw around #BLACKLIVESMATTER, then how about making them matter in your own culture. Look at the statistics for Black on Black crime… And even single parent homes, kids being raised by grandparents, etc. Black lives DO MATTER, as do ALL lives. Our society needs to STOP making everything racial and just look at the facts.

No one knows all of the facts, except for the Trooper and Sandy herself. We may never get all of the answers we seek, but at this time we need to seek PEACE and not more drama!

YOUR PROTEST will DO NOTHING TODAY, other than probably get someone hurt! OH…and your 5 more minutes of fame!

8. protest for the good July 26, 2015 10:06 pm

NO, let it not end
    Protest are good….It’s easy to say one culture kills it’s own kind time and time again. Think about this…when someone opens fire in the movie theaters, schools, senator and representatives showings, is killing multiple people in one area one crime or multiple crimes. This happens quiet often in a certain race where many people lives or taken and the reason is ” oh they had mental problems. ” Food for thought.”

9. Tito Puente July 29, 2015 12:48 am

Dear Conscious People of this town. Please march, protest and disrupt the status quo, as a young woman was murdered by racist cops. Oh dear god to read your delusional responses, mostly from cop apologists, as if this young woman didn’t have a right to call into question her engagement with this racist policeman. I’m sorry but another innocent black person is dead at the hands of lying, racists, LEO cowards.