Monthly Archives: January 2016

SHE’S HAPPY HAIR OWNER AND STAFF GIVING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY!

image

Marcus Bowers – She's Happy Hair

image

image

image

The staff of She's Happy Hair

image

She's Happy Hair Customer Appreciation

image

INTERVIEW WITH MARCUS BOWERS OF SHE’S HAPPY HAIR!

In this day and age when it’s all about the bottom line, it’s extremely rare to find a small business giving back.

If rare describes the owner and staff at ‘She’s Happy Hair’ then they’re glad to wear that label.

The Houston based haircare products business with seven stores, is all about giving back to the community.

The Factor chatted with owner and founder Marcus Bowers and he says giving back is a part of the very fiber of the company that began back in August of 2012.

This week Bowers and his staff gave back to literally hundreds of clients and supporters of his business.

They hosted a customer appreciation event called the ‘Happy Experience’ at the House of Dereon in downtown Houston Sunday afternoon.

Those who attended were showered with freebies like massages, hair treatments, good, drinks, music, and entertainment.

Bowers also brought in producer Alexis Robbie to conduct auditions for those who wanted to be in the next ‘She’s Happy Hair’ television commercial.

Robbie says more than 100 women have applied to be in the the series of tv spots being produced for the business.

Meanwhile, Bowers says he was the first in his family to graduate from college and the sky was the limit from that point on.

He says because he grew up on Martin Luther King Boulevard in Houston he always feels obligated to reach back and help others.

The Houston man is apparently doing that with events like customer appreciation, school supply giveaways, food drives, and events geared towards women.

If you want to know more about Bowers and the company just Google She’s Happy Hair or click this link!

TORTILLA ISIAH FACTOR

THEY’RE ACCUSED OF HIRING UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS – NOW THE OWNERS OF A HOUSTON TORTILLA FACTORY HAVE BEEN CHARGED CRIMINALLY…

FEDERAL COURT RECORDS SHOW ALFREDO LIRA AND LYDIA LIRA KNOWINGLY AND REPEATEDLY HIRED ILLEGAL WORKERS AT THEIR WEST 15TH FACTORY CALLED LA ESPIGA DE ORO…

IT WAS BACK IN AUGUST WHEN FEDERAL AGENTS RAIDED THE HEIGHTS AREA BUSINESS…

AT LEAST 35 WORKERS WERE QUESTIONED AND RELEASED…IT’S NOW CLEAR THE FEDS WERE HOPING TO GET THE OWNER FOR VIOLATING FEDERAL LAW.

HANNAH HALL AT TSU STILL NOT READY FOR BUSINESS!

HANNAH HALL

We’ve learned it will be another two full months before the President of Texas Southern University will be able to move back into his office. It was back on Martin Luther King day when Hannah Hall flooded at TSU after a hot water heater sprung a leak. It left the Human Resources staff and the President of the school in temporary offices. Eva Pickens with the school says it will be two months before the building will be back in shape. So far there is not estimate on the amount of damage from the leak.

HOME INVASIONS JUST DON’T PAY IN GALVESTON COUNTY!

VINCENT LEWIS

34 year old Vincent Lewis Herrera was sentenced to 50 years in the Institutional Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, for the felony offense of Aggravated Robbery.

On Monday, January 25, 2016, trial began in the 56th District Court. The State presented witness testimony and physical evidence that Herrera and a co-defendant burglarized a home in Texas City and assaulted, with a gun, the resident on September 20, 2014.

Shortly before 6:00 a.m. on September 20, 2014, the victims were awakened to men breaking into their home. One victim ran to a neighboring police officer’s home seeking help. The other victim confronted the suspects, who demanded money and property. Herrera engaged in a physical altercation with the victim before pulling out a gun. During the course of the home invasion, Herrera and his co-defendant removed several items from the home and Herrera struck the victim in the head multiple times with the gun.

When officers arrived, the co-defendant was seen exiting through the front gate to the home. After a scuffle, in which the co-defendant attempted to take an officer’s weapon, the co-defendant was apprehended and detained.

The victim shouted to officers that Herrera, the suspect with the gun, was in the backyard. After a short chase around the home, Herrera was apprehended as he tried to flee through the front gate area. In Herrera’s pockets was found the victims’ wallet and cell phones. Inside the suspects’ vehicle, officers found additional items that had been taken from inside the home.

Officers searched the backyard and found a gun in the area where Herrera was seen when he attempted to flee.

The jury heard closing arguments on Thursday morning and then retired to deliberate. The jury returned that afternoon with a guilty verdict.

During punishment, Herrera pled true to the two felony enhancements the State alleged in the indictment, setting his punishment range at 25 to 99 years, or life, in prison. The enhancements were for a 2007 conviction for Possession of a Controlled Substance and a 2013 conviction for Aggravated Assault Causing Serious Bodily Injury. In addition to the two enhancements, the State presented evidence that Herrera had three additional prior felony convictions, which included a 2003 conviction for Injury to a Child and a 2006 conviction for Harassment by Person in a Correctional Facility.

The jury took only a couple of hours to deliberate before returning with a punishment verdict of 50 years. Herrera will be eligible for parole once he has served at least one-half of his sentence.

The case against the co-defendant, Aaron Richard Herrera, 22, is still pending and currently set for trial in the 56th District Court.

Herrera was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Jennifer Ott and Richard Hayes in the 56th District Court, with Judge Lonnie Cox presiding. The investigation was conducted by the Texas City Police Department.

TAKING KUSH OUT OF HARRIS COUNTY ONE STORE AT A TIME!

kush

kush2

Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, and the City of Houston today won temporary restraining orders banning the sale of the synthetic marijuana product known as Kush in two Houston area stores.

The TRO’s were issued against stores that do business as Brothers Market and Meat Mart and Fantasy Smoking and Accessories as well as the owners and operators of these businesses and the owners of the properties where they are located. The orders were issued today by Judge Jaclanel McFarland.

“Kush may sound like an innocuous substance but it is extremely dangerous,” said County Attorney Ryan. “Ingesting these substances can cause paranoia, psychotic episodes, hallucinations and suicidal thoughts. People who have ingested Kush have suffered paralysis, brain damage, heart attacks and even death.”

Synthetic marijuana is a designer drug, often manufactured overseas, that is marketed as a “safe” and “legal” alternative to marijuana. Synthetic marijuana is not marijuana at all but a dried leafy substance that is sprayed with powerful, added-in hallucinogenic chemicals that are dangerous and highly addictive to the user. The added chemicals are intended to mimic the biological effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

image

TEXAS COUNCILMAN RETAINS NATIONAL CIVIL RIGHTS ATTORNEY AFTER
DASH CAM VIDEO REVEALED OFFICER LIED TO JUSTIFY USE OF HIS TASER;
OFFICER INDICTED MONDAY BY A TEXAS GRAND JURY

Who: Prairie View City Councilman Jonathan Miller and his attorneys, Benjamin L. Crump of Parks and Crump, LLC and Jolanda Jones of the Law Office of
Jolanda Jones.

What: Will react to criminal charges being dropped against Councilman Miller and comment on the recent announcement of an indictment against Prairie View
Police Officer, Michael Kelley. Kelley, indicted by a Texas Grand Jury on
Monday, falsely alleged that he tasered the city councilman while wrestling with
him for refusing to obey his commands; a dash cam video would later prove that
he lied.

When: Friday, January 29, 2015 at11A.M. CST

Where: SHAPE Community Center
3815 Live Oak
Houston, TX 77004

HISD COP ARRESTED!

image

The Harris County District Attorney’s Office has accepted criminal charges against a former district police officer assigned to Cullen Middle School following an HISD Police investigation into reports that he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a student.

Former HISD Police Officer Jacob Ryan Delgadillo is facing a felony charge of indecency with a child. A criminal warrant was issued Wednesday, and he is expected to soon be taken into custody.

The allegations of inappropriate conduct were first reported in November. School administrators immediately notified HISD Police, and the officer was removed from his post pending the outcome of the investigation. He resigned in December, while still on leave.

HISD Police conducted a thorough investigation and presented the findings to the District Attorney’s Office. The charges were accepted and a warrant was issued Wednesday.

HISD takes situations such as this very seriously, as the safety of students is always the district’s top priority.

GALVESTON1

FullSizeRender
The building you see in the photo is the former Lucky U game room, (823 Grand Ave.,) which was raided by Galveston County sheriff deputies in 2011 and is reopening as a law enforcement substation

· This unincorporated area has a history of criminal activity, so an increased law enforcement presence there has been a top priority for the county

· In April 2011, sheriff’s deputies raided the game room, seizing more than $100,000 in cash and 105 8-liners

· Primarily, the sheriff’s office and deputy constables will use the facility…. although the sheriff’s office will not staff the building, the Precinct 1 Constable’s Office will use it during daytime hours

· Previously, sheriff’s deputies would either use area fire stations or police departments in Kemah or Dickinson, or drive all the way to Galveston to do complete reports and interviews after crimes

Brittany Rainville

Chief Communications Officer

Galveston County

image

(THE GRIO) In unexpected turn of events that has left many on social media scratching their heads in confusion, Shakespeare in Love actor Joseph Fiennes has now been confirmed to play none other than Michael Jackson in a new project.

Tuesday evening, it was revealed that Fiennes will be playing the pop icon in a new British television movie.

While details are still scarce, the film currently entitled Elizabeth, Michael, and Marlon, will be about a post-9/11 celebrity road trip.

According to Vanity Fair, the script is based on the accounts of a former employee of Jackson who claims the king of pop invited the two actors to come see him perform in New York just before 9/11.

Allegedly, after the terrorist attacks that hit the World Trade Center towers, the three icons were said to have rented a car and tried to drive back to California on their own, only making it as far as Ohio.

While the premise of the film sounds like it could give a rare and fascinating glimpse into Jackson’s private life – one can’t help but be stuck on the fact that one of the greatest African American musicians of all time will be played by a white man.

We are truly at a loss for words and will keep you posted as this story develops.

GRANDFATHER OF ACCUSED OF VIDEOTAPING SEXUAL ASSAULT OF 14-MONTH-OLD GRANDDAUGHTER!

UPDATE: GALVESTON COUNTY ASSISTANT DISTRICT ATTORNEY ADAM POOLE SAYS JASON MICHAEL GRANT HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A CHILD. GRANT WAS SENTENCED TO 99 YEARS IN PRISON. HE WAS CONVICTED OF SEXUALLY ASSAULTING HIS THEN 14-MONTH-OLD GRANDDAUGHTER. PROSECUTORS ALSO SAY GRANT TOLD HIS GIRLFRIEND TO VIDEOTAPE THE CRIME. THAT GIRLFRIEND 26 YEAR OLD ALISHA DRAKE WALKED BECAUSE HER CONVICTION FROM LAST YEAR WAS OVERTURNED BY A COURT. POOLE SAYS HE CAN’T RETRY DRAKE BECAUSE A WITNESS REVEALED THEY ONLY RECEIVED THE VIDEO OF THE CRIME BECAUSE HE STOLE GRANT’S CELLPHONE. THE VICTIM WHO’S NOW 5 YEARS OLD IS LIVING WITH A FOSTER FAMILY AND HER PARENTS SAY HER NAME IS BEING CHANGED TO PROTECT HER IDENTITY IN THE FUTURE.

image

The Factor has learned Prairie View Police Chief Larry Johnson abruptly resigned Tuesday.

I spoke with Johnsin tonight and he confirms his resignation. He says when it was clear the positive things he pushed for (In Prairie View) weren’t going to happen, it was time to move on.

This comes just a day after an officer from PVPD was booked and taken into custody for tasing and arresting Prairie View City Councilman Jonathan Miller last October.

The Factor has also learned Chief Johnson had no clue his officer in that case, Michael Kelley, was a potential target of the grand jury in Waller County. 

When I first called the chief last Friday he was not aware his officer was indicted.

Moreover, the resignation also folliws reaction from some members of City Council in Prairie View who expressed dissatisfaction with Johnson.  That’s after they say he failed to launch an internal investigation into Officer Kelley’s actions during the arrest of Councilman Miller.

Johnson said he would talk publicly when the time is right. Stay tuned!

FINAL FAREWELL FOR LITTLE CARSON NORTHROP!

A
image

It’s been nearly two weeks since 1 year old Carson Northrop died in a hotel room in Brookshire.

The baby boy was living there with his parents and siblings.

McCall Northrop, Carson’s mother,  says his funeral service will be held in an undisclosed location Wednesday morning.

She says it will be private for family and close friends.
image

A preliminary autopsy shows the child died from natural causes but the medical examiner is still awaiting the toxicology.

McCall says she wanted to thank the people of Brookshire who stepped up and helped her with funeral costs.