A 16 year old Montgomery County teenager is hospitalized and could lose his hand after investigators say he made a homemade explosive device that unexpectedly went off.
Montgomery County Fire Marshal Jimmy Williams says the young man was taking the explosive device to a party on the San Jacinto River near FM 1314 in Porter Saturday night.
Williams says before he could set off the device at the party it exploded causing sever damage to his right hand.
Williams say it’s likely the 16 year old will lose the hand.
The Fire Marshal says the incident has nothing to do with terrorism but more about a young person infatuated with explosives.
“We don’t see this as part of a larger criminal enterprise but we do see an uptick like this during the fireworks season,” says Williams.