THE ANGER IS BUILDING AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE BLACK HERITAGE NIGHT PERFORMER AT THE RODEO!

jason
There is clear outrage on social media and in the Black community in Houston after the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo announced the performer for Black Heritage night.

Last week the rodeo unveiled its lineup and announced Jason Derulo as the headliner for BHN.

My social media accounts have been buzzing with people who say Derulo is not a marquis artist and should not have been chosen the one night African Americans are given during the rodeo.

We’ve talked with some Black Heritage Committee members who are also upset about the act chosen for the night of their major fundraiser.

Those intimately involved in the rodeo say they have no say in picking the acts and they’re just as angry.
rodeo_logo_complete.800w_600h
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo issued this statement backing the rodeo’s choice to hire Derulo as the BHN act:

The following statement is attributable to Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo officials:

“The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is excited to have Jason Derulo as part of the 2016 concert lineup. He’s sold over 50 million singles as a solo artist, and has earned 11 platinum singles. His tremendous success, which includes five platinum singles just from his latest album, and more than 2 billion views on Youtube and 1 billion plays on Spotify, make him the type of artist to help the Show reach even more of our city’s diverse community. And although Black Heritage Day includes the evening rodeo and concert in NRG Stadium, the real heart of the celebration is the amazing array of local groups who participate on the grounds during the day, which in 2015 included marching bands, dance groups, Buffalo Soldiers and African-American quilters.”

Here are is additional background on Jason Derulo.

· sold over 50 million singles

· has 11 career platinum singles

· over 2 billion views on YouTube

· over 1 billion plays on Spotify

· 11 of his songs reached the Top 10 on the Top 40 Charts, including four No. 1’s

· over 20 million social media fans and followers.

· one of only seven recording artists (other are Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Katy Perry and Drake) to score five platinum singles from one album

o 2014’s “Talk Dirty”

· five-time winner at the BMI Pop Awards

o Honored as songwriter of the year in 2011

· 3 Teen Choice awards

· Array of international awards nominations including:

o MTV Video Music

o MTV Europe Music

o Billboard Latin Music

o American Music

o NAACP Image & MOBO awards

· fourth studio album released June 2015 – “Everything is 4”

o “Want to Want Me” became the most-added track in the history of Top 40 radio.

* added by 156 monitored pop stations, making it the biggest Top 40 US radio launch ever

· served as season 12 judge on TV show “So You Think You Can Dance”

· associated with the following charities:

o Make-A-Wish

o Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center

o Ryan Seacrest Foundation

o Shriners Hospitals for Children

1. Yulonda Garza January 12, 2016 6:16 pm

The minute that I saw that Jason Derulo is the headliner at this years rodeo, I said, ‘well-that’s money put back in the bank.’ Come on people, “BLACK HERITAGE” is for performers that have been in the game for a long, long time. Derulo is still wet behind the years. Oh well, we won’t be at the rodeo that night this year-that’s for sure.

2. Anonymous January 12, 2016 6:26 pm

I love going to the rodeo. However, I simply won’t attend. No need to be internet angry. Just don’t go!

3. Queen January 12, 2016 6:56 pm

I do not know any black people that listen to Jason Derulo. He is a new pop artist and black people usually listen to R&B, Hip Hop, Jazzy not pop. All those great country singers and we’re stuck with Jason Derulo. Sad I will not be attending this year but who knows maybe y’all didn’t want us there anyway.

• Anonymous January 13, 2016 1:20 am

Um not a fan of his but your statement is false Beyonce is pop and so is Michael Jackson

• Anonymous January 13, 2016 9:14 am

I was going to say the same thing.

• Anonymous January 14, 2016 4:29 pm

But Beyonce is a native black Houstonian and she is a crossover artist she wasn’t always POP same thing with Michael Jackson. Jason Derulo started his career as a pop artist.

4. Lah January 12, 2016 7:15 pm

Boycott! !!!!!

5. Anonymous January 12, 2016 7:16 pm

A bunch of marlekey!

6. MV FONTAINE SR January 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Listen, when are we going to realize that the HLS simply throws a bone to minorities as regards the rodeo. I was the very first Black preacher to be invited to give the Invocation in the early 80’s. I chose each time successively the next few years to be assigned WHENSUNEVER Charley Pride performed. I rode trail with Prarie View & Southwest /many years. I attended ONE Black Heritage (BH) meeting, never returned. Having worn a gold badge from the rodeo opposed to one issued through BH, I’ve been on both sides. I don’t attend anymore.

7. disappointed January 12, 2016 7:55 pm

yup i wont b there even with free tickets. there are so many other artist that are well known in the black community that could have this spot.. money stays in my pocket.

8. Houstonian January 12, 2016 8:05 pm

Jason Derulo is an outstanding Pop Artist and all his accomplishments are well earned and deserved. However, just because he is a Black American artist does not mean he is an R&B artist as well. Pittbull is not performing on Tejano night just because he speaks Spanish…. Tejano night is for that genre of music and rightfully so. Stop insulting our intelligence LSAR!!!

9. Winsome January 12, 2016 8:05 pm

No one cares!! Rodeo you have failed.

10. Livestock Show Parent January 12, 2016 8:15 pm

In reality, the foundation of the rodeo is the livestock show in which I have kids that participate in. The entertainment part is just a bonus that I really don’t have to have. We came to show and walk away with a check. Not taking anything away from Jason Derulo’s accomplishments but his genre of music could have been strategically placed on another day.

11. Kimberly January 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Just because Jason has all those accomplishments, I don’t think he is rodeo performance worthy. Next time Rodeo performance deciders…ask ‘us’ first. I predict low ticket sales.

12. Angela January 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Who?

13. Ron January 12, 2016 10:01 pm

I am hoping this is not HLSR intent is to produce such a low turn out on BH Day that eventually they will consider this day a complete bust and do away with it. I am pretty sure it was known what type of fallout would follow when they booked this artist…Shame on you!!!

14. Regina January 12, 2016 10:07 pm

JD is a pop artist, not R&B, which is what kind of artist usually plays the BH concert. Robin Thicke would have even been a better choice.

15. Pamela January 12, 2016 11:12 pm

SMDH @ Sarah Poole and everyone else involved in making the “Derulo” decision. Let this failure be a lesson learned. #DoBetter #You’reClueless #Boycott!!

16. Truly Disappointed January 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Does take a rocket scientist to figure out Jason is a Pop Artist….not R&B!!!

17. Terry Andre Hayes January 12, 2016 11:42 pm

I am going to say what other people will not say. The rodeo is not going to bring the artist Black Americans would like to see out of fear of losing the other audience they really cater to. Black Heritage Night is not about us but just away to say yeah we had a night for them. Someone told me that to the only way to change this problem is to join the HLSR and join the committee. I plan on doing that by joining this year to work and see if I can get on that committee. Maybe some more of us should do the same and lets make this a night about us and not about fear.

18. Tammy January 13, 2016 2:03 am

I feel the same way, when I saw the lineup, I have never heard of this guy.

19. TF January 13, 2016 2:12 am

No need to Boycott… African-Americans Need to understand the Power of a Dollar… When You don’t spend the money, You get change. No Matter if the powers that be are in tune with the masses or not. Money is STILL power in this country.

20. Linda Duckworth January 13, 2016 5:16 am

That’s to keep the blacks at home.

21. Linda Duckworth January 13, 2016 5:17 am

That’s to keep the blacks at home.. Go see a nice movie enjoy.

• Kori January 13, 2016 11:02 am

Yeah. We’ll stay at home and you can have all the fun in the world with all the live stock. Cause you’ve heard about ignorant backwoods whites. They love copulating with farm animals….

22. Ane January 13, 2016 6:05 am

Does It matter who performs as long as someone black is there I don’t understand what you people would like to see I don’t want to go there and see a old person performing like Patti LaBelle or whatever I don’t want to go see that. I want something entertaining and if that’s what he bring then let him bring it I will be there and if you just don’t like him then just don’t go everybody has their opinion of what they like and what they don’t you can never satisfy all the black people all the time just some of them some of the time!

• Queen January 13, 2016 6:18 am

Ane you tried it. It is plenty of happening R&B artist that could have been booked so don’t up Patti, let’s see there’s Mary J, Ciara, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, August, Bryson Tiller, hell I would’ve settled for B2K before Jason Derulo so please have several seats.

23. Queen January 13, 2016 6:20 am

I would’ve taken Sam Smith over Jason Derulo he sings R&B. Don’t pick someone because their black choose someone that has good R&B MUSIC ITS SIMPLE!!!!

24. TeeLove January 13, 2016 6:33 am

They could have done a “Houston” lineup, Missy, Tank, Fantasia, Tamar Braxton, Jeezy, 2 Chainz…..anybody else except Jason Derulo….ANYBODY

25. Alberta January 13, 2016 8:10 am

Who is he????I’ve never heard of him

26. Dorcas January 13, 2016 8:40 am

I know JD is a fine and successful artist. I also know the HLSR always misses the mark at least once, every year. I also know that the choices are based on availability of the artist. Keep this inind. Maybe other artists feel this venue is beneath them. Thumbs up to Jason D. For being the better man and accepting the invitation. Wise business/marketing choice on his part.

27. Anonymous January 13, 2016 9:29 am

Wow….

28. Ty January 13, 2016 11:07 am

Booooo to Jason Derulo…. I’m sure it’ll be plenty of tickets for those who wants to go…

29. Mr. VIP January 13, 2016 11:59 am

Chances are they dont give a damn about you regulars because you aren’t spending enough, a ticket and no concessions? Waste of space Financially it makes more sense to attract the younger segment who likely has and isn’t afraid to spend more money… it’s strategic…

I am willing to bet the Concessions took their biggest losses over the last ten years on BHN… that aint how a business continues to operate. If you dont go, guess what? You’re expendable and someone who spends more will gladly take your seat and will appreciate the ENTIRE RODEO & LIVESTOCK SHOW.

1. There are enough people to fill the stadium who will go see Derulo, you all only represent a small minority of people who are “faux disappointed”

2. They lost money with big name acts at the concessions… they WILL NOT CONTINUE TO PAY FOR THAT WHICH BRNGS NO RETURN. BROKE AND/OR CHEAP PEOPLE DONT MAKE MONEY FOR AN ENTITY THAT WANTS TO TURN A PROFIT

3. Ask a 13-17 year old black girl in the SUBURBS if they want to go see Jason Derulo… guess what? Thats at least 10 tickets guaranteed. 4 friends, at least 2 little sisters, the mommas… 10 people means guaranteed Concessions. Strategic business also involves KNOWING your FUTURE CUSTOMER… the 80s and 90s are dead.. its 2016 stop acting so ignorant like Black People “only listen to” … no YOU ONLY LISTEN TO and have not ventured beyond your box.

• Ron January 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Your comment was worded great but has no substance nor based on facts.. If the powers that be felt that BHN was not a good investment… It would have been cut a long time ago…Do you really feel this a token night for HLSR? Well. In case you feel that way….those nights are usually are done at a loss…. Bottom line…I have an issue with people who stereotype that inner city families will not spend just as much as a suburbia area family to have a good time.. Pretty sure you don’t have kids or live in the suburbs because I fit both categories and if you don’t realize that guaranteed concessions funds still comes from that 80-90’s parent that has all the money…We out here like to teach our kids what a bad INVESTMENT looks like and this is one!

• Ty January 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Thank you Ron please let him know. If we didn’t bring money BHN would’ve been dead long ago. We spend plenty of money to have fun just like everyone else.

• Anonymous January 15, 2016 2:42 pm

I listen to all types of music and all stations in Houston from 97.9, 104.1 (the most), 102.1, 96.5, 95.7, 99.1….and I still have no interest in seeing Jason D. If you have ever attended a BHN concert, then you know that the crowd is mostly over the age of 17 . And I disagree with “young black girls 13-17” want to and see him, THEY DON”T! if you ask 13-17 year old Caucasian girls they ‘re the group that would like to go. And the whole reason I even go the Rodeo is for the FOOD… that’s the best part…All of the food is expensive but it doesn’t stop me from spending. At any rate, I still love Rodeo season, one bad choice in a performance won’t stop me from attending… I would rather see Kid Rock anyway…..Mr.VIP…don’t be so sensitive… Are you on the Rodeo Committee? LOL #HTOWN

30. LJT January 13, 2016 3:14 pm

I’m hoping that HLSR will be as disappointed with the ticket sales for BHD as I am with the artist they chose.

31. Anonymous January 13, 2016 9:15 pm

I feel there will be a fair share of teenage girls that will go see Jason Derulo. He should have been on another night. And yes, it’s all economics. I get it. But the BHN at the rodeo means more than that to the Black Houston Community. We take pride in that night. My family sets aside the 1st Friday in March every year and we wait patiently to hear the lineup the first week in January. I know we are not the only ones. It’s just disappointing.

32. Ms Wash January 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Never her of Mr Derulo. He’s a very nice looking guy and I feel bad for him cause he getting a raw deal with all the negative comments. I assume he just took a gig not knowing what impact it would make on the black folk that attend. I’ve never heard of him or his music so I know I won’t be attending., but I wish him the best. Gonna be a sad BH night.

33. Anonymous January 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Heard his name not his music

34. Anonymous January 17, 2016 10:32 am

He is not a R&B artist. Try again rodeo.

35. Molly Jenkins January 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Such a shame. You just can’t please everyone. Maybe the Top, Top artist weren’t available or choose not to attend due to the type of venue.

I just hope that the artist that does sing, doesn’t use any foul language or has a “gangster’ attitude.

The young citizens need to have a positive person who has worked hard to be in the music business.

It is a RODEO based event, not like Jones Hall.

36. Tara B January 18, 2016 4:45 am

Yikes! I’m a 35 year old African American woman and I am forced to listen to JD because my 10 year old daughter likes his music and dance skills. After attending Ariana grande last year at hlsr, my daughter was excited when I told her he would be here this year and she wants to sit front row again! He’s a talented guy, and looks like I’ll be there with my black daughter, black moms and black friends. He does have an African American fan base, it’s just not the typical BHN crowd, meaning the age factor. We will enjoy and hopefully others will too!

37. Tee February 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Lol at the amount of tickets remaining. 14,000!
    Good. Maybe next year there will be a more thoughtful process of the selection

38. Thalethia March 3, 2016 11:49 am

I’m so sick & tired of ALL this headache drama, SHAME I can’t take my daughter to see a performer she likes on this night because of judging and singling OUT you make what you want of things but you don’t have to be against people who are living in America. AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE , where you can be & do anything you want no matter. We all have struggles and judgement as you can see Over the BS grow up and find things to do that really make change if your that worried about it. That’s what important not the color of your skin THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT ARE IN SLAVED RIGHT NIW IS YOUR YOUTH ALL NATIONALITIES CALL HUMAN SEX SLAVE TRAFFICKING.

• Anthony March 5, 2016 10:48 am

I don’t see why you cant take your daughter to see JD, unless you are to concerned with what people think about you. America, is the home of the free, and you are able to do what you want. You, it seems put to much emphasis on what others may think of you. Take your daughter and have a great time, as long as you and she enjoy the evening, thats all that matters.

39. Pam March 5, 2016 12:01 pm

Well said Anthony!!
    If Thalethia’s friends/family (because no one else should matter) were judging her for wanting to taking her daughter to see JD…..Thalethia maybe you should focus in that…evaluate the people in your life; then promote, demote or terminate….You’re the CEO of your life!!

40. Chris Jones March 5, 2016 12:10 pm

Perhaps none of the other artists people are naming as a better choice were available? I was there and he was good. But then I actually go to watch the whole rodeo and not just the show.