WHAT: Houstonians facing eviction due to COVID-19 now have a new resource — an eviction response program — to assist them with legal and housing concerns.
As part of a new collaboration with the Harris County Precinct One Constable’s Office and the Eviction Defense Coalition — with funding from the Harris County Precinct One Foundation — South Texas College of Law Houston (STCL Houston) has hired 10 recent law graduates to provide pro bono legal assistance for individuals facing eviction.
Under the supervision of staff attorneys in the Randall O. Sorrels Legal Clinics, the eviction response team will help tenants determine whether the new CDC eviction moratorium applies to them and, if it does, help them apply with the moratorium guidelines.
This Friday, Nov. 6, Houstonians facing eviction are encouraged to attend a mobile clinic in the Greenspoint area (17770 Imperial Valley Dr.) to receive free legal assistance related to their pending or potential evictions. No appointments are necessary.
Through a three-pronged eviction response program, the eviction response team will advise clients at special drive-thru stations, at static clinics set up in the community, and through an eviction response hotline. Tenants who have received notice that they are behind on rent or those who need help completing the CDC declaration and cannot attend this clinic can call STCL Houston at (346) 250-1069. Tenants facing pending evictions can call STCL Houston or Lone Star Legal Aid at (800) 733-8394.
- Alan Rosen, Constable, Harris County Precinct One Constable’s Office
- Kathryn Mecredy and Capt. John Moritz, Board Members, Harris County Constable Precinct One Foundation
- Michael Barry, President and Dean, South Texas College of Law Houston
- Eric Kwartler, Staff Attorney, South Texas College of Law Houston — Randall O. Sorrels Legal Clinics
- Robert L. Hansen, Associate, HooverSlovacek LLP
- 10 STCL Houston law graduates hired as eviction response team members to assist Houston tenants
WHEN: Friday, Nov. 6, 2020
9 a.m. — 1 p.m.
***Press conference will be held with key stakeholders at 9 a.m.***
WHERE: Harvest Time Church
17770 Imperial Valley Dr. (in parking lot)